Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Brixton Market

Hi Guys!


I visited a very special place last week which I found absolutely authentic. I already told you a bit about the colourful Brixton last time (The Prince), but without describing its great Market (here is the official website http://www.brixtonmarket.net/).

Apart from being very affordable, you can find there all kinds of exotic products you won't find anywhere else like yam, plantains and many many other special ingredients.

Lucky us, it was a sunny sunday which made it even more pleasant to wander around, listenning to the loud reggae music coming out of some shop.

And there are perticularly 2 things that I really enjoyed... Food! Yes I know! I keep talking about food, but Hey! This is how you know that a place is great!


So, First, I had the chance to enjoy genuine rotis from Guyana!! Where the Hell is Guyana you wonder? Well, it is a tiny country (the red one on the map below) near Surinam (ex Dutch Guyana), French Guyana, Brazil and Venezuela at the north of South America.
Best map I could find on google!
I am telling you: you can travel the cheapest way in Brixton :). Guyana used to be an English Colony and British brought there African people, but also people from India. Hence the Roti that is originally from India.

To talk about the roti in itself, it is between a naan and a crepe and you eat it with a side dish: it can be chicken with sauce, curry potatoes etc... And I can tell you that the mamas that were cooking the rotis were doing it the good way as my roti tasted like heaven! Besides, another great thing about the roti is that you eat it with your hands: no fork, nothing... Not practical, but exhilarating!




The second thing that was really worth is the covered market nearby named 'Brixton Village'.You can still find fresh products there, but in addition, there are lots of little restaurants and other small shops. And, if I were to recommand one, that would certainly be 'La Cabaña' a columbian restaurant family restaurant where I went 2 weeks ago: service is perfect, coffee is extremely fresh and the dishes are cheap and very good!
  Try the 'bandeja paisa' for 9 pounds:
Hope you'll enjoy it there!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good to know this. I hope you can take Venezuelan food someday...

    ReplyDelete