Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Covent Garden Soups

Hi all!

It's been a little bit more than one month that I arrived in London, and a great deal of my conection with English culture is at work.

I must say that several things are so different from France! At the beginning, I was thrilled, but, after one month, well, I think that working here is not better; just different.

'But, for God's Sake! What is the damn connection with the Covent Garden Soups???' All right, all right, I am going to tell ya! Actually, the link is brutal and is one of the huge differences between England (or the United States) and France when it comes to corporate culture.

For my very first day at work, I had to eat all ALONE in front of my computer and I thought that this was crazy! And it is all the most crazy that, at first appearance, colleagues are extremely friendly between each other here (Or is it that they are particularly cold in France?).

So you'd expect to have a nice cool welcoming lunch to have the time to EXCHANGE and socialize... Errr... No no.. In your dreams kiddo! You see the Tesco? You go there, grab a sandwich or whatever, and come back to your seat in order to quickly eat it in front of your screen (even if it's your first day and that bloody IT is not able to make your professional mailbox work). This is the best way to die soon of indigestion my friends...

I freaked out! In France, lunches were the highlight of the day, The Break, the moment where you could release the pressure, 1h30 (yeaaaaah, I love my job) of joy, gossips and -very- bad jokes. I had to do something about this situation! That's how I began to do it. Buy Covent Garden Soups... Below, my trusty allies:

Actually, if you don't eat something good, you die during the afternoon. Of course you could buy a Mc D, grab a sandwich at Starbucks (I do, once in a while), or at Prêt à Manger (I don't like sandwiches there though... Stop with the Mayo/Pesto, guys! Not tasty), but it would be expensive and not satiating enough.

These soups -only 98p at Morrisons- are not expensive, not like cream (I hate soups that taste like cream and not real vegetables), and the serving (600g I think) is quite honest. My favourites? The ones with lentils. But Vegetable Winter is quite good too.

I think that you got that I am still not used to this whole eating-at-work-in-front-of-your-computer thing... I don't think I will someday, even with free Covent Garden soups. Of course, the compensation is that you get to leave work much earlier, like at 6'00PM, which is really cool. But I'd easily give this up for a real lunch where you can socialize because, I am personally more efficient after a real break. Even if I do feel relaxed while waiting for the micro-wave to heat up my soup... Yep, I try to be positive!

Tomorrow, I'll spice up my lunch and will try a new CGS flavour! Woohoo, it's gonna be wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment