Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I survived the Scottish accent... Did I?

Last Sunday, I decided to go to the very first time to the Cinema... And of course, I decided to choose an English film in order to get entertained and improve my english - which was a noble intention...
After a great deal of hesitations between 'Biutiful' (It is in Spanish VO, I know, and this invalidates my original intention, I know ... but this film is starring Javier Bardem, who is just an amazing actor) and NEDs (read 'Not Educated Delinquents'), I decided to go for NEDs. The director, Peter Mullan, is just absolutely great as an actor and as a director (do you remember this fabulous film 'Magdelene Sisters'? Well, that was him).

You can see the film poster just below:


 
Actually, the film story is quite...humm.. depressing. But actually the trailer was really appealing and makes you want to see the film. Above all, if you are French... Well, Shall I say not Scottish, it makes you totally believe that you are going to understand something. you can find easily the trailer on internet... Just have a look.

Well... I was wrong and so naive... Actually, I was very glad that it was dark and that my neighbours were focused on the film (like if THEY were understanding something...naaah) because I am sure I made the funniest faces ever. I must say I googled eyes BIG TIME all through the film that lasted 2h30! Gosh! That was soooo hard!

I should have read Wikipedia before in fact... '
Ned is a term applied to certain people in Scotland, akin to the term chav in England. The stereotypical view of a ned is a white adolescent male (although this term does not exclude females) of working class background. They engage in hooliganism, petty criminality, loutish behaviour, fighting, underage drinking and smoking or general anti-social behaviour.[1]Everything says 'Warning, you are so not going to understand' 

Anyway, to be as objective as possible, I would just say that:
- I understood 50% of what was said
- BUT, I do think that this is a good and well produced film with quite good and believable actors 
So, you definitely have to go and see it... You'll tell me what you think of the end..
Next time, i'll have a special treat and will definitely see Biutiful... At least, I can still understand Spanish and read English :)

See ya for the next post!





No comments:

Post a Comment