Thursday, February 10, 2011

Columbia Road's Flower Market

Hey little chickens!

I wanted to make a post about the great flower market of Columbia Road (East London).



In the guides, you will see that it closes around 12'00 PM, but I went twice at 12'30 PM and could see that it closes after 2'00PM. Anyway, even if this market is probably better during summer, I can tell you that it is worth it nowadays too!

As I said earlier, it takes places in Columbia Road which is not so far from the beginning of the more famous Brick Lane. To me, this is THE thing you have to do on a sunday morning (ok, 12'00PM is not anymore the morning...But maybe it is on Sundays!): The road is super busy with people selling all sorts of flowers and trees - don't expect baobabs and exotic stuffs giving the season..Oh wait, you do have some exotic flower over there. The atmosphere is warm despite of the perfidious wind, flower sellers are shouting, people bump -gently- into each other, you have small fashion boutiques that run alongside the road, and of course you have restaurants!

Let me show you what it's like:





Some people actually buy flowers there (no wayyyy!), i mean, really big bouquets. I never tried to buy a nice bouquet as I wouldn't know where to put them at home; besides, I like to wander in the neighbourhood afterwards... But I really like to see happy people faces with their huge bunch of flowers. It's silly but I can understand how nice it is to buy flowers just for the sake of it!

After this very touching thought I would like to share a very special place where you absolutely have to go when you are finished looking at green stuff. Indeed, at the end of the flower market, you will find a little snack owned by a super cool guy who sells portions of Veg Samosas and falafel! So tasty! Take the chilli sauce: the mix is absolutely delicious and just perfect to wait until the brunch (my brunches are late). Seriously, you can tell these apetizers are homemade. Bravo Maestro (or is it his wife?)! Here is the foto of the guy who made my day :

Apparently, the guy is famous - So he said. He was interviewed for a local newspaper! I can understand why!            

No comments:

Post a Comment